Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The longest night of my life


The longest night of my life
25th July 2008, it was raining in Bangalore. There was also a bomb scare making news. 
It was like whole of Bangalore is grieving for my father's non-presence. 
Everybody in our family were outside the hospital as we weren’t supposed to stay in a group near the ICU as that would disturb other patients visitors too. We saw some happy families saying that their husband/son /daughter/mother are fine to be shifted to ward. We also expected that our Dad should be out of ICU soon; yes, he came out of ICU, but not as we wanted him toL.
Many people visiting my father at the hospital and I talk to them what the Doctor is saying. Many giving their opinions about shifting to another hospital which was not at all possible at that time; the same morning, my cousin and I spoke to the Intensive Care Unit doctor. I still remember her name, Dr.Sandhya; a new morning, new hope, new desire, new improvement… Yes, new improvement that I was expecting the Doctor to tell us, but my dad showed no sign of improvement, the condition was worse and the Doctor told us that there was no small chanceL.
My cousin and I had to muster the courage to convey the same to others in our family. This is so hard to do. God made me take this huge responsibility of delivering this dreadful message. We just kept it to ourselves and told that Surgeon who was treating my Dad has to come and give his opinion.
In the evening, we told many of our relatives to go home as it was raining. My cousins, brother, Mom and I were told that he is been removed of the ventilation support and no moreL. As it was already evening, we didn’t want to break the news to my dad’s sisters who are all older to him. My Mother and I were the two to know about this news along with our cousins and brother. My mom and I couldn’t sleep the whole night, we kept weeping for ourselves holding each other. July 25, 2008 night was one of the longest nights of my life. So many thoughts making round, so many things that had to be taken care... Appa, I know you were not aware of what was happening to you; but we suffered along with youL.
We had so many hands and hearts that helped us to pass though this phase. I sincerely thank each one of them and will remember it for life.
This day of every year brings back those frightful moments that we underwent as a familyL. Today is July 25, 2012. Appa, I know you are watching us, blessing us from wherever you are.  We miss you a lot and I know that Shella Paati, Prema Atthe and Suguna Atthe are taking good care of you there .
You will always remain with us in the form of guiding light!

No comments:

Post a Comment